Accident at work? Here’s what you need to know

When it comes to accidents at work, it can often be a daunting process when looking to pursue a claim especially if you are unsure of how to go about it. Here we have summarised some key facts to consider when reporting an accident at work or claiming compensation for a workplace injury.


Employers have a duty of care

Under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act, employers have a duty of care to take all measures possible to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of their employees. This often involves providing adequate health and safety training, advising employees on health and safety issues and carrying out risk assessments to name a few.


Common types of work injuries

Common types of work injuries that you can claim compensation for include slips and trips, dangerous practices, defective equipment, insufficient training, assault at work, negligence of co-workers and more. With any claim, the amount of compensation will vary depending on the accident reported.


Employers must record all accidents at work

Employers must keep track of all accidents at work in line with RIDDOR regulations. RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations which governs who reports accidents at work and how they’re reported. Logging all accident reports also allows for understanding how the health and safety strategy in the workplace can be improved.


You can’t be sacked for making a claim

A main factor for employees hesitating to make a claim is due to the thought that their job might be under threat. This is not the case. All employees hold the right to claim compensation for an accident at work under the 1996 Employment Rights Act and employers cannot dismiss an employee for making a claim against them.


If you have suffered from a workplace accident and looking to make a claim, it’s important to note that the sooner you make this claim the better as there’s a strict time limit of three years for making a claim.


If you have had an accident and would like our assistance, please contact our specialist court team on 0141 887 5271 (Paisley) or 0141 886 5678 (Renfrew)